-
March 2nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
#1
chrstnwmn7
Guest
I think so..but wanted to call on you history buffs too! Do any of you know of a website that contains info on customs and things for this holiday in Colonial times? I would greatly appreciate it. I tried a search...but it ends up as a needle in a haystack! LOL Thanks if you can help!
-
March 2nd, 2005, 07:13 PM
#2
rolloverrover
Guest
I tend to not think so. I did some searching and did find this article:
Today, with all its joyous customs,
Easter is indeed a major popular festival across the United States.
A festival that has become more of secular in spirit, though it has religious background.
However, this was not the case all along the history of United States.
Easter did not enjoy the status of a popular festival among the early settlers in America. Because most of them were Puritans or members of Protestant Churches who had little use for the ceremonies of any religious festivals. Even the Puritans in Massachusetts tried their best to play down the celebration of Easter as far as possible. While various rites are said to be associated with the celebration of Easter, most of them have come as part of the ancient spring rites in the Northern hemisphere.
Not until the period of the Civil War did the message and meaning of Easter begin to be expressed as it had been in Europe. It was the initiative of the Presbyterians. The scars of death and destruction which led people back to the Easter season. They found the story of resurrection as a great source of inspiration and renewed hope.
Since then, of course, its joyous customs delight children and adults alike.
-
March 2nd, 2005, 07:49 PM
#3
Inactive Member
If I'm not mistaken, it's a REALLY big deal with Hispanics, though, as most religious holidays seem to be, so maybe Marisol could introduce it to Felicity. [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
March 2nd, 2005, 11:11 PM
#4
Inactive Member
The first real mention of Easter in American history that I'm aware of was Dolly Madison hosting an Easter picnic. Easter eggs didn't become popular until the 1870's.
-
March 5th, 2005, 03:34 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Would Felicity have celebrated Easter?
The Church in Virginia at that time would have been Church of England (Anglican) and would have held Easter services.
No Easter baskets or Bunny. Easter family dinner -- maybe.
Lori, Felicity & Willow
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks